Currently, 184 academic teachers work at the Faculty, among them the number of the senior academic staff (full professors, associate professors, doctores habilitati and active emeriti professors) amounts to 78.
The total number of students at licentiate, MSc and PhD levels amounts to 1300 on average every year.
Modern instrumentation to support research efforts in all major sub-disciplines of chemistry (analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, theoretical, biological, chemical technology, crystallochemistry) as well as in chemistry-related interdisciplinary areas is available at the Faculty. Our research infrastructure has now undergone a substantial expansion and modernization thanks to recent funding successes from the European Regional Development Fund.
The first chair of chemistry in the Jagiellonian University was established at 1782. Originally part of other Faculties (Medicine, Philosophy, and Math-Phys-Chem), in 1981 the chair was upgraded to an independent Faculty of Chemistry. The best known chemists who have worked at the Jagiellonian University are: Karol Olszewski (1846-1915), who was the first to liquefy oxygen, nitrogen and carbon monoxide, and Bohdan Szyszkowski (1873-1931) known for formulating the equation that correlates surface tension and concentration. more (in Polish)